One keystroke runs a batch file
Falafel Balls
2023-07-25 19:16:59 UTC
I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?

Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat

How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
Char Jackson
2023-07-25 20:32:17 UTC
On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:16:59 +0300, Falafel Balls
Post by Falafel Balls
I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.
Stan Brown
2023-07-25 21:28:57 UTC
Post by Falafel Balls
I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.
Char's approach is a valid one IMHO.

But you can also do it in native Windows. Create a shortcut whose
target is either
cmd /c c:\batch\dosomething.bat
or
cmd /k c:\batch\dosomething.bat
(The difference is that the first one's window closes when the batch
file finishes, and the second's window stays open till you close it,
either by typing exit on the command line or by clicking the X at the
upper right of the window.)

After Target in the shortcut dialog, you have a box for entering an
optional shortcut key. Don't pick an often-used key sequence, like
Ctrl+C! Pick something easy to type but not likely to be typed by
accident, Ctrl+Alt+S for instance. (Don't type Ctrl+Alt+S, press
those three keys together while the cursor is in the Shortcut Key
box.)

For the shortcut key to be effective, the shortcut must be either on
your desktop or in your start menu.
--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...
micky
2023-07-26 03:02:41 UTC
Post by Falafel Balls
I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.
Char's approach is a valid one IMHO.
But you can also do it in native Windows. Create a shortcut whose
I believe it's now called Indigenous Windows.
micky
2023-07-26 03:01:02 UTC
Post by Falafel Balls
I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.
I was going to suggest AutoHotKey or another one that is easier to use
but which costs a little money. The first requires writing a script
and the second just filling out forms. There are others.

I only use mine to raise and lower the volume, and to mute the sound.
I think I tried to disable the Insert key and it should have been easy
but it didn't work. I think it will work for you how ever

Google key remapper . Probably no DOS needed.
Zaidy036
2023-07-26 16:34:20 UTC
look at free https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/volumouse.html