I had a question about batch files using multiple variable, but
pyotr filipivich
2021-03-14 03:57:41 UTC
I had a question about batch files using multiple variables, but as I
try to get tot he relevant code to show what I'm asking about, I'm
getting more and more confused about what the actual code is doing,
and what I want it to do. I may be converging on an entirely other
approach.

I may get this sorted out so that it a works, but if it doesn't I'll
see if I can figure out what it is doing so I can ask the right
questions.
--
pyotr filipivich.
"I wish you wouldn't use the mind control device - I get
these terrible migranes until it's finished." Jonathon
JJ
2021-03-14 10:58:45 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
I had a question about batch files using multiple variables, but as I
try to get tot he relevant code to show what I'm asking about, I'm
getting more and more confused about what the actual code is doing,
and what I want it to do. I may be converging on an entirely other
approach.
I may get this sorted out so that it a works, but if it doesn't I'll
see if I can figure out what it is doing so I can ask the right
questions.
IMO, computer code is more precise than any human languages. So, I suggest
showing the full code. i.e. not just a snippet, or an mock up code of whay
you're trying to do. And state the expected result, as well as the actual
result.
Kerr-Mudd, John
2021-04-22 20:10:43 UTC
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 17:58:45 +0700
Post by JJ
Post by pyotr filipivich
I had a question about batch files using multiple variables, but as I
try to get tot he relevant code to show what I'm asking about, I'm
getting more and more confused about what the actual code is doing,
and what I want it to do. I may be converging on an entirely other
approach.
I may get this sorted out so that it a works, but if it doesn't I'll
see if I can figure out what it is doing so I can ask the right
questions.
IMO, computer code is more precise than any human languages. So, I suggest
showing the full code. i.e. not just a snippet, or an mock up code of whay
you're trying to do. And state the expected result, as well as the actual
result.
I trust you figured it out OK.
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
pyotr filipivich
2021-04-23 01:35:10 UTC
Post by JJ
Post by pyotr filipivich
I had a question about batch files using multiple variables, but as I
try to get tot he relevant code to show what I'm asking about, I'm
getting more and more confused about what the actual code is doing,
and what I want it to do. I may be converging on an entirely other
approach.
I may get this sorted out so that it a works, but if it doesn't I'll
see if I can figure out what it is doing so I can ask the right
questions.
IMO, computer code is more precise than any human languages. So, I suggest
showing the full code. i.e. not just a snippet, or an mock up code of whay
you're trying to do. And state the expected result, as well as the actual
result.
I trust you figured it out OK.
Not yet. One of those life interfering, and the priority for that
project keep getting lowered.
Anybody want a couple XP computers, which might work if merged?
"I'm just going to throw them away ..."
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)
JJ
How do you "merge" computers anyway?
pyotr filipivich
2021-04-23 17:37:24 UTC
Post by JJ
Post by pyotr filipivich
Not yet. One of those life interfering, and the priority for that
project keep getting lowered.
Anybody want a couple XP computers, which might work if merged?
"I'm just going to throw them away ..."
How do you "merge" computers anyway?
Mobo from one, HDD from another. aka "Frankensteining a working
machine out of the parts."
Kerr-Mudd, John
2021-04-24 09:08:06 UTC
On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 10:37:24 -0700
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by JJ
Post by pyotr filipivich
Not yet. One of those life interfering, and the priority for that
project keep getting lowered.
Anybody want a couple XP computers, which might work if merged?
"I'm just going to throw them away ..."
How do you "merge" computers anyway?
Mobo from one, HDD from another. aka "Frankensteining a working
machine out of the parts."
No thanks, my XP PC is working OK (if a bit greedy for power compared with those silent PCs).
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
pyotr filipivich
2021-04-24 15:59:12 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by JJ
Post by pyotr filipivich
Not yet. One of those life interfering, and the priority for that
project keep getting lowered.
Anybody want a couple XP computers, which might work if merged?
"I'm just going to throw them away ..."
How do you "merge" computers anyway?
Mobo from one, HDD from another. aka "Frankensteining a working
machine out of the parts."
No thanks, my XP PC is working OK (if a bit greedy for power compared with those silent PCs).
Good for you. Mine isn't, and the other one isn't, and if I
hadn't gotten a 64bit machine for classes ...
pyotr filipivich
2023-12-30 00:51:12 UTC
Post by JJ
Post by pyotr filipivich
I had a question about batch files using multiple variables, but as I
try to get tot he relevant code to show what I'm asking about, I'm
getting more and more confused about what the actual code is doing,
and what I want it to do. I may be converging on an entirely other
approach.
I may get this sorted out so that it a works, but if it doesn't I'll
see if I can figure out what it is doing so I can ask the right
questions.
IMO, computer code is more precise than any human languages. So, I suggest
showing the full code. i.e. not just a snippet, or an mock up code of whay
you're trying to do. And state the expected result, as well as the actual
result.
Sigh, so you really want to try to read through 216 lines ( out of
the original 517 - I just looked) of code to find the dozen or lines
which are relevant? Including the house keeping, test output notes
comments and spaces?
I know I don't, and I wrote the bloody thing!

And as I examine the program to extract the relevant lines, I find
that I am also having to interpret what I wrote in light of the
output, and in light of more recent lessons. The "oh, so that's why
that works (or doesn't) that way!' moments.
I'm not seeing much reason to ask "why doesn't this work" with a
program and output dump. (For grins and giggles, I ran TesTMyCopy.bat
- the test suite and directed all output to a file. It is 10 megs in
size)